Sectioned - Annihilated

Artwork: Mitchell Gillies

Sectioned is a five-piece band from Edinburgh, Scotland and their debut album 'Annihilated' was Bandcamp's number 3 best seller in the metal genre. A big compliment that triggered my curiosity. The album could be downloaded for free and with a little feeling of guilt I did. But after the wind and piano announced the end of the album I knew: I MUST have this on CD/vinyl.  



Tracklist
1. Annihilated
2. Beautiful Struggle
3. Starved Lives
4. Synchronicity
5. Betrayer
6. Toothgrinder
7. Eigengrau
8. Bête Noire
9. Victorious, Neverending
10. Release
11. Portrait
12. Life's True Beauty
13. Through The Trees

'That is not music' is a term that I often hear and that I always counter with the argument that everything you hear is music. The birds, the wind, a fart, as long as it touches you because then something changes. Guess what? Something changed when 'Annihilated' from Sectioned crossed my path. During the thirteen songs which exploded with adrenaline, violence, hyperactivity, and genius, somewhere in my body a hatch was opened where suddenly all pent up frustrations flowed out like diarrhea. The sun was shining and instead of listening to records in my bedroom, I went outside, joked with my wife and played with my children (after I had cleaned myself of course).

Corny? Maybe, but this record does exactly what the title promises, it destroys. But is that because the singer is a possessed maniac, that screams his lungs out in the mic and sometimes breezes like an agitated MMA fighter? Or is it the guitar riffs that mix hardcore, punk and tiny black metal influences and are played so fast that they are almost impossible to keep up with? It's the drummer. He is the guilty one, your honor. A song like 'Annihilated', 'Beautiful Struggle', 'Toothgrinder', 'Victorious, Neverending' are inimitable, just impossible. Pace accelerations, drum fills, blast beats, odd time signatures, everything happens and everything can be heard perfectly, not only the drums but also the guitars. This ensures that you want to continue listening to this record to explore every detail. Just listen to the freaky guitartwizzles in 'Release', like electrically charged razors are gauging your eyes out.

Sectioned knows how to create such a distinct kind of anger that it looks like someone else is angry inside me. The record is a tremendous mix of hardcore, mathcore, noise, breakbeats ('Portraits', a nod to Venetian Snares perhaps?) and leaves you with a feeling like you want to taste even more of that adrenaline, to feel even more of that anger. It is definitely a record worth listening to if you like your metal quick, aggressive and full of rage.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Derhead - Irrational I

Wills Dissolve - Echoes

Crypts - Coven of The Dead