The prog-sludge band Scientist from Chicago released 'Barbelith' an album that every metal lover should hear. It has all the ingredients you need: heavy riffing, freaky solos, grungy vocals, a great variety of screams and a drummer with a fetish for drum fills.
Tracklist:
1. Chokhmah Binah
2. Magic Mirror
3. Barbelith
4. Fiction Suit
5. Retrogade
6. Shed This Meat
7. (Home) at Last
Scientist is, despite being a tearjerkingoff song from an unspecified English band, also a metal band and 'Barbelith' (named after the satellite with a consciousness from the comic The Invisibles) is their third album and it is simply genius. Their sludge metal sounds progressive, cinematic and I cannot understand why this band is not more popular among metal fans. The music is a combination of old Mastodon, with vocals that sound like Maynard from Tool and Layne and Jerry from Alice In Chains are having a gettogether: in the title track, 'Magic Mirror', 'Fiction Suit' and 'Shed This Meat' they gave me goosebumps. Everything that comes out of the mouth of Scientist is great, but what comes out of their hands is just as good: sludge riffs are interspersed with cinematic postrock and post-metal passages that are reminiscent of a long journey through a rocky landscape.
'Barbelith' reminded me of the day when I first heard 'Third Eye' from Tool, the afternoon when I put my burned CD of Mastodon's first album 'Remission' in my Discman, the night I secretly watched Rockzone on MTV and the video clip 'Them Bones' by Alice In Chains came on. All those memories are important because they have pushed me in a certain musical direction and Scientist has done that again. Year lists contender!
Back in the 2000s, I read an article about Finnish black metal band …And Oceans that combined black metal and electronics. I started to look for any songs that I could download on the web (I didn’t know anything about Napster or Limewire). I found one and that was Odious and Devious. I really liked the cold they put in the music. This EP by Derhead called 'Irrational I' has got the same cold gloom on it. Tracklist: 1. The End For Now 2. Corpses Of Desires This one-man project from Giorgio Barrucco makes black metal in the …And Oceans kind of way, cold, icy and with a hint of industrial. That’s what makes this record stand out, the feeling of being surrounded by ice and icicles that can pierce right through you. Started in the 2000s, Giorgio has made several demo's and an EP as Derhead and he also plays bass in gothic metal band The Void. He's a busy man and luckily he made time to create this gem. With snarling vocals, crazy black cold metal riffs and menacing drum wo...
Formed in 2015 as Maliblis, the four-piece band now known as Black Curse, brought out their debut album Endless Wound on Sepulchral Voice Records on April 2nd. With members from Blood Incantation, Spectral Voice, Primitive Man and Khemmis, you can expect nothing more than a curdling deep pool of boiling black magma. Tracklist: 1. Charnel Rift 2. Crowned in (Floral) Vice 3. Enraptured By Decay 4. Seared Eyes 5. Lifeless Sanctum 6. Endless Wound 7. Finality I Behold Black Curse sounds like they're summoning demons. Real nasty ones, with grotesque deformities, immense eyes and otherworldly beaks that make cavernous sounds. Just listen to the way singer Eli torments his throat. It’s got to hurt man. Then again, he is the main reason for the sound on this record. O and Arthur Rizk of course, the guy who produced a shitload of records and plays the drums in Eternal Champion. He soaked this record in slime and made it sound like it’s recorded in hell or what have you. The album has seve...
Comments
Post a Comment